October 2020 — Teriyaki Chicken Fried Rice
Healthy, delicious, and so simple, even a kid can make it! In fact, this recipe was “kid-tested” by our trainer Lori’s 13 year old son!
- 1 lb. chicken breast tenderloins, cubed
- 1 cup low-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ cup carrots, diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked (we like brown jasmine rice)
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Optional additional veggies: 1 cup broccoli florets (1/2″) and/or 1/2 cup snow peas, julienned
- Marinate the chicken in teriyaki sauce in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- In a wok or deep skillet, add the chicken in the teriyaki marinade and cook thoroughly over high heat. Scoop into a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pan, add olive oil and cook onions, garlic, and carrots until onions are translucent.
- Add frozen peas (and other optional veggies, if using) and cook an additional 3-4 minutes. Push all of the cooked vegetables to the side of the pan.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and then pour into the cleared half of the pan. Scramble the eggs and mix with the rest of the vegetables until eggs are cooked thoroughly.
- Add rice, cooked chicken, soy sauce, sesame oil, and pepper. Mix well and let the rice cook until slightly crispy.
Recipe adapted from Tasty.com