May 2021 — Greek Style Grilled Chicken
A mouthwatering combination of tart lemon, tangy Greek yogurt, and lots of garlic and oregano will make this your new favorite marinade! Try serving it with a side of tabbouleh salad, made from whole grain wheat!
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ⅓ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lemon (plus one additional lemon sliced for garnish if desired)
- 6 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Place the chicken pieces in a large freezer bag and set aside.
- Add the Greek yogurt and olive oil to a medium size bowl.
- Zest the lemon into the bowl, then juice that lemon into the bowl as well.
- Add the pressed garlic, oregano, kosher salt, and black pepper to the mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Pour most of the marinade into the freezer bag or the bowl with the chicken pieces and reserve about a half cup for basting. Seal the bag tightly and massage the bag to ensure all the chicken is coated with the marinade. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Before cooking, lightly oil the grill grate with cooking spray, then set the grill to medium high heat.
- Grill for about 15-20 minutes or until the chicken juices run clear basting frequently.
- Optional: Grill lemon slices during the last 5 minutes of cooking the chicken, about 2 minutes per side.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Serves 4-6. Recipe adapted from Foodiecrush.com.