June 2021 — Italian Potato Salad
This month’s recipe comes courtesy of trainer Lori’s mom, who makes this as an alternative to heavy, mayonnaise-based potato salad. For best results, make 1-2 days ahead to allow the flavors to meld!
- 2-3 lbs. red skin potatoes
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper (any color you prefer), sliced
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- freshly ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Peel and cut the potatoes into roughly 2″ cubes. Place in a large pot, and add enough cold water to cover the potatoes. Add about 1 tsp. of salt to the water.
- Cover the pot and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. (Note: Do not bring the pot to a full boil.) Cook 10-15 minutes, or until a fork easily pierces the potato.
- Drain into a colander and allow to cool. You can speed this process by running the potatoes under cold water. Make sure they are drained well.
- Add cooled potatoes to a large bowl with onion, bell pepper, olive oil, vinegar, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss the mixture to coat, taste, and adjust seasoning as necessary.* (see note)
- Refrigerate at least 2-3 hours before serving.
*Note: This is very much a “to taste” recipe. You may prefer more or less vinegar, oil, or seasonings!