July 2020 — Roasted Salsa Verde
Salsa is not just for chips! Try this salsa on grilled chicken or steak, or on scrambled eggs!
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 4-6 chile peppers, stems removed (Anaheim or poblano for mild; jalapeno or serrano for spicier salsa- you can use any combination of these)
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1-2 medium limes, juiced
- salt to taste
- Preheat the oven broiler. Place tomatillos and chiles on a baking sheet and broil until blackened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove sheet from the oven, use tongs to flip vegetables and continue to broil until tomatillos are blistered (about 4 to 6 more minutes).
- Add onion, cilantro, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a blender. As soon as they are out of the oven, add roasted vegetables and their juices to the blender.
- Pulse until mixture is mostly smooth and free of large chunks, scraping down the sides of the blender as necessary.
- Season to taste with the remaining lime juice and salt. Serve chilled.
Recipe idea from https://www.melissas.com/