February 2021 — Butternut Squash Soup
You’ll want to make this easy, healthy soup all winter long! Bonus: It’s vegan friendly!
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and diced (about 5 cups)
- 32 oz. chicken stock OR vegetable stock for vegan
- Sea salt, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add butternut squash* and vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until squash is softened.
- Puree until creamy using an immersion blender or by transferring to a regular blender in batches.
- Season with salt to taste. Try a dash of one of the spice combinations below as well for extra flavor:
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, & clove
- Curry powder
- Sage & thyme
- Garnish with roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
*For even more flavor, you can roast the squash before adding it to the soup. Toss the squash with 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil and roast on a sheet pan in the oven at 400 for 25-30 minutes, turning once.