February 2020 — Brazilian-Style Shrimp Soup
Looking for a hearty appetizer or a light meal? Search no further! This easy to make shrimp soup has plenty of protein and veggies, and you can adjust the spiciness to your taste. Serve with a multigrain crostini or low-carb parmesan crisps.
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄4 tsp. pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1 (14 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 5 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 cup reduced fat coconut milk, well stirred
- Toss shrimp with garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, pepper, and lime juice, chill for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Cook shallot and bell pepper in olive oil over moderately low heat, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add cayenne, 3 tbsp cilantro, and remaining 1 tsp. of salt, stir and cook one minute.
- Add diced tomato and tomato sauce and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is very thick.
- Stir in coconut milk and then bring to a boil, add shrimp mixture and cook 3 to 5 minutes until shrimp are pink.
- Stir in remaining cilantro and season to taste.
Serves 4 (entree) to 8 (appetizer).