May 2018 – Turkey Veggie Chili
This easy, one-pan meal is great for a fast weeknight dinner or a meal-prep option for lunch at work. Packed full of veggies and lean protein, it’s both nutritious and satisfying. Try serving it over brown rice or Miracle Noodles!
- 1 lb. 99% lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion (yellow or white), diced
- 1 can (15 0z.) dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (such as Ro-Tel)
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce with no salt added
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced or finely shredded*
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced or finely shredded*
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 packet no-sodium chicken bouillon powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: Hot sauce or cayenne pepper to taste
*Shredding the vegetables will help thicken the chili, and is a great way to “hide” veggies from kids who might not otherwise eat them!
- Brown turkey and diced onion in a nonstick stock pot.
- Add beans, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add bell pepper, zucchini, carrots, and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Add bouillon, water, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Allow to simmer 30-60 minutes (you may need to add more water, depending on the consistency you prefer) and serve.
Makes 4-6 hearty servings.