March 2018 – Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Easy meal prep!
Using high-fiber, low-calorie spaghetti squash instead of pasta lightens up this casserole. You can also add sauteed diced veggies (peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, etc.) to boost the nutrition and give the dish more of a chunky texture.
TIP: When working with spaghetti squash, be sure to squeeze the excess water from the strands and dry-fry in a nonstick pan, so that your dish doesn’t get watered down.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- 2 cups marinara sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 lb. Italian turkey sausage (about 3 links), cooked and chopped (can substitute vegetarian Italian sausage)
- 1/2 cup shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- Cook the spaghetti squash in the oven or microwave until softened. Use a fork to scrape the strands out of the rind (see TIP above).
- Beat the egg white and ricotta together in a small bowl.
- Mix squash, ricotta mixture, marinara, and sausage together in a casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and bake another 5-10 minutes.