June 2019 – Whole Wheat Tea Cookies
We all need a treat once in awhile, and isn’t it great when you can make a dessert that’s better for you? These cookies are subtly sweet thanks to honey, and fragrant with orange zest. Nobody has to know they’ve got extra fiber thanks to whole wheat flour!
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Pinch of cinnamon, or to taste
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and honey. Add the vegetable oil and vanilla extract and continue to whisk.
- Add the whole wheat flour, baking powder, orange zest, and cinnamon (if using) and stir with a spatula.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. When ready to roll out the dough, preheat the oven to 375 F. Position rack to middle.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to ¼ inch thickness.
Use any shape of cookie cutter to cut out the dough. Re-roll scraps.
- Place each cookie about 1/2 inch apart on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes or so before transferring to a rack. Optional: Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Recipe adapted from She Loves Biscotti