June 2018 – Better-For-You Brownies
Here’s a healthier version of a classic dessert. Pssst…. your kids will never know the difference!
Recipe from Ambitious Kitchen
- 1 can of black beans (15 oz.), rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 large ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar (You can also substitute 1/2 cup pure maple syrup)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips + 2 tablespoons for topping (We like Enjoy Life brand)
- Optional: Chopped nuts or natural peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8×8 inch baking pan.
- Place all ingredients except chocolate chips into blender or food processor. Process or puree until ingredients form a smooth batter. (If the batter is too thick to blend/process, add 1-2 teaspoons of water. Keep in mind the batter needs to be very thick in order to produce fudgy brownies.)
- Add 1/3 cup chocolate chips and nuts (if using) and fold into batter by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and swirl in peanut butter, if using. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out somewhat clean and top of the brownies begin to crack.
- Cool pan completely on wire rack, then cut into 12 brownies and serve!