January 2018 – Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
Cookies? For breakfast?
If you think you don’t have time for breakfast in the morning, think again! Since these cookies are best when they are fresh, whip up a batch to keep in the freezer and just microwave a couple of them on your way out the door. With just a few simple ingredients and no added sugar, these cookies are beyond easy to make. Your kids will love them too, and you don’t have to tell them they’re healthy!
Makes 12-15 cookies
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 2 cup quick oats
- 1/4 cup safflower or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unflavored protein powder (we like pea protein)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Optional: 1/2 cup (total) of raisins, slivered almonds, chopped walnuts/pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a hand mixer, mash the bananas in a bowl until gooey (it will be a little lumpy).
- Add the oats, oil, protein powder, vanilla, cinnamon, and optional mix-ins to the bowl, and stir by hand until well combined.
- Use a spoon to scoop out dough on to a cookie sheet. You may have to shape the cookies a bit, as the dough tends to be a bit thick.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until bottoms of cookies are starting to brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before freezing, or enjoy warm straight from the oven!