November 2017 – Cauliflower and Roasted Red Pepper Chowder
Cauliflower is having kind of a moment, isn’t it? Try it in this delicious, brightly colored chowder that is sure to warm up a cold autumn day! The best part is, this soup also freezes well, so cook up a big batch and freeze some for another day!
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large stalks of celery
- 1 large onion
- 1 carton (32 oz.) low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 medium or 2 small red potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 can (12 oz.) nonfat evaporated milk
- 1 jar (16 oz.) roasted red peppers packed in water, drained
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice celery and onion.
- Melt butter in a dutch oven or large nonstick pot.
- Add celery and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and translucent. Do not brown.
- Add broth and water, stir.
- Add cauliflower and potato and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes or until cauliflower and potato are tender.
- Reduce heat, add evaporated milk, roasted red peppers, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.
- Stir and allow to cook 5-10 minutes more.
- Puree using a hand blender or by transferring to a blender in batches.
- Serve with whole grain crackers or pita bread.