December 2017 – Brunch Casserole
Here’s a fabulous brunch to serve to guests this holiday season, festive with red and green from bell peppers and broccoli! You can assemble the ingredients the day before, so all you have to do is pop it in the oven when your guests arrive.
- 2 tsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 3 c. broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- salt, to taste
- 1/3 c. water
- 4 oz. turkey breakfast sausage, cooked and chopped (optional)
- 12 slices grainy sandwich bread, halved diagonally (we like Ezekiel Bread or Dave’s Killer Bread)
- 2 oz. reduced-fat Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 whole eggs and 8 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 c. nonfat milk
- 2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally until the onion browns (about 6-7 minutes).
- Add the broccoli, bell pepper, and salt to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is bright green (about 2-3 minutes). Pour in the water and cook until evaporated. Add turkey sausage (if using) and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and arrange half the bread slices in the bottom with all the triangles facing the same direction. Spread the broccoli mixture over the bread in a single layer, then top with the Swiss and Parmesan cheeses. Arrange the remaining bread on top with the triangles all facing the opposite direction.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, and pepper. Whisk or mix well to ensure the mixture does not have any lumps. Pour the mixture over the bread, and gently press on the bread to help absorb the milk mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Uncover the casserole and bake 55-60 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.