August 2018 – Panzanella Salad
Take advantage of your garden’s bounty or your farmer’s market fresh ingredients with Panzanella, a traditional Italian salad. Makes an easy appetizer, weeknight side dish, or even a meal with the addition of grilled chicken or steak!
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced
- 1-1/2 cup tomatoes (for larger tomatoes, such as Roma or beefsteak, chop into bite-size pieces; for smaller tomatoes such as grape or cherry, halve or quarter)
- 1 cup cubed stale crusty bread (we like multigrain baguette for whole grains!)*
- 6-8 basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
*If your bread isn’t stale, place it in the oven on 200º and allow to crisp up without browning
- Combine cucumber and tomato in a large bowl. Add a sprinkle each of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Add olive oil and vinegar. Toss with a large spoon until well combined.
- Add basil and bread and toss.
- Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving so flavors can marry. Toss again immediately before serving.
Serves 2 as a main course, 4-6 as a side dish or appetizer.